The Consortium for Ocean Leadership is pleased to announce the search for a Program Specialist, Interagency Ocean Observation Committee (IOOC).
This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. The position will report to the Program Manager, IOOC and coordinate assigned program operations for the IOOC. The IOOC Program Specialist works closely with the IOOC Program Manager advising and assisting with federal ocean observing efforts, including the Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS®), which is the U.S. contribution to the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS). The IOOC Program Specialist will be responsible for special projects, focused on producing data management and display tools, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in one of the natural sciences, and at least three years’ experience in providing support to an academically focused, scientific program (or equivalent science training and management experience).
- Familiarity with ocean science and related federal agencies is preferred.
- Familiarity with basic programing language (HTML/CSS), command shells (iPython), and data management and visualization software tools (MS Access, Google Fusion Tables, Gephi) is preferred
- Master’s degree in a relevant field may be substituted for the required work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Problem-solving capabilities with the ability to exercise good judgment and to anticipate and mitigate problems with events or products.
- Initiative, creativity, and the ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent listening, note taking, and research skills.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with high-level federal agency representatives and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated proficiency with all MS Office applications is necessary; knowledge of graphics and web page layout and design is preferred.
To apply, please forward cover letter, resume, salary requirement, and any other relevant application materials to email@example.com with the subject line, “PROG-SPEC-IOOC”. Materials may also be mailed to Human Resources, The Consortium for Ocean Leadership, 1201 New York Avenue, NW, 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20005.
The Consortium for Ocean Leadership represents 95 of the leading public and private ocean research education institutions, aquaria and industry with the mission to advance ocean research, education and policy. Located in the heart of our nation’s capital, Ocean Leadership offers a collegial work environment and excellent benefits. To learn more about us and current vacancies in more detail, please visit www.oceanleadership.org .